We need better software

| Tuesday, April 14, 2009

As I continue my quest to become a GTD master, I'm starting to realize that computers and software can sometimes cause bottlenecks and may even be getting in the way of you getting things done.

For example, let's say I'm writing code in Visual Studio. I need to store some data so I open up SQL. My app is web based so I open a browser. I am concerned about browser compatibility so I open other browsers. I find an issue that requires research so I open Stack Overflow. I learn something important so I open Evernote to store it. I realize that I need to fix several things so I create a project in remember the milk; then Crash hollers at me "dude, read that email I just sent you".

Each time I leave an app to open another app the context is lost. If I were to go to lunch and come back to this mess of open applications, I really don't know why remember the milk is open and what that has to do with the line of code Visual Studio focused on. It's take time to read the content of both and rebuild the context in my brain again.

This seems inefficient. I want to keep a so called story of what I'm working on. I want to know that the line of code I'm on directly relates to the RTM task I just created, and not because I named the RTM task something obvious.

Make sense?

** Update **

This software partially fits the concept I'm describing. If I could take this concept and make a fluid tie directly into the applications I use daily, it would be perfect. I'd have a single piece of software that satisfied my daily needs for contextual workflow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has an advanced spam detections system. Send us spam and we will shoot a missile into your living room.