Apple Fan Boy

| Sunday, May 31, 2009

I’ve been called this recently and I would agree. I fell in love with the “it just works” way of Apple. When my wife goes to the mall, I tag along so that I can visit the Apple store. I own a MacBook Pro, and iPhone and and iPod. I also have loads of attachments for the mac; gadgets like the Bose Sound Dock for the iPhone and wireless keyboard and mouse for the laptop. I have tons of software and enjoy working and playing on the mac. I’m messing with xCode and iPhone programming, use parallels to run windows so that I can VPN and RD into work.

I can’t think of anything negative to say about the mac.

My problem… I need to run Visual Studio and Sql Mgmt Studio from anywhere. I picked up a Virtual Machine solution for this but I don’t enjoy it because running OSX and my virtual machines does not give me the performance I desire. I do throttle each but it still does not compare to native speed.

I decided to install the Windows 7 RC1 and boot to it rather than the VM solution. This way I get full dedication of my machines resources to the operating system I choose. It took a little over 30 minutes to do the install, call it 40 if you include the windows and driver updates.

I’m in shock. “It just works”. And it is really really fast. Granted it is bare bones and I am rocking 4gb of ram but this thing cooks. It doesn’t have the bloat of Vista (well it might but they swept it under the rug). It’s snappy, looks great and makes me want to use it. Thank you Microsoft!

Now, for my foot-in-mouth moment: If Microsoft could move Windows 7 to the mobile world and make the Zune HD a little more natural to use like the iPhone, I think they'd really have something they have been missing… A smart phone/pda contender. Let’s be honest, the iPhone, from a human usability perspective, just does it better than any other. They are bound to that silly AT&T contract and Microsoft is not. Ditch the Surface and get this HD phone available from any carrier. Put Win7 on the Zune HD or similar device, nail an app store, destroy Google Android and remind everyone that great software does not have to be open source.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has an advanced spam detections system. Send us spam and we will shoot a missile into your living room.